Mother’s Day is coming up quick on us, which means it is time to start thinking of some delicious meal ideas that your Mother (or yourself) will love. This year I’ve decided it is time for a little chocolate treat and making something our entire family can enjoy. Check out this recipe for Flourless Chocolate Cake now!
Flourless Chocolate Cake
The option for two flourless chocolate cakes, one topped with a mountain of red berries and one with black berries.
- Butter for greasing
- 300 grams broken plain chocolate
- 225 grams cater sugar
- 180 millilitres boiling water
- 225 grams salted butter, cut into cubes
- 6 free range eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Raspberries, strawberries and red currants or blueberries and blackberries
- 200 millilitres of creme fraiche
- Grease and line the base of a solid-bottomed 23cm/9inch round cake tin (a springform is best).
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas 4.
- In a large food processor pulse the chocolate and sugar until fine. Add the boiling water, butter, egg yolks, coffee powder and vanilla extract.
- In a glass bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and then fold them into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the hot oven for about 45 – 55 minutes. The top will be cracked like a desert fault line.
- After you take the cake out of the oven it will collapse into itself quite a bit. This is ok – its not meant to be a proud cool cake, its meant to be slightly rough around the edges and the crème fraiche and berries will hid any dips and cracks.
- Let the cake cool, then put it in the fridge for a few hours. When you are ready to serve, remove from the tin, smother the top in crème fraiche, then raspberries, strawberries and redcurrants (or blueberries, blackcurrants and blackberries). You can also grate some more chocolate on top or dust some icing sugar.
Let’s make this Mother’s Day a huge one and make something not only your Mom will love, but the whole family. Also, why not get your Mom her very own pair of TOMS for Moms! They will go great with this cake, and you’ll be giving another Mom a wonderful Mother’s Day present somewhere else in the world by helping put shoes on her children’s feet too.