The summer months are hot, and a time we really don’t like cooking indoors or even eating hot foods half the time, which leads us into a lot of salad recipes.
Today at MommyMatter we thought everyone would enjoy a fresh broccoli salad recipe. The kids aren’t the biggest fans of broccoli, but we can usually get them to eat it if it is within a salad. We do eat a lot of a salad, daily most times. This is a great addition to any menu plan, and the fact it has bacon in it makes it a good option for me being the bacon addict that I am.
This is a yummy summer salad that uses an interesting combination of fruits, vegetables and meats. Before you decide you won’t like it, try it. You’ll be pleasantly surprised. You can add an extra head of broccoli, if you like.
- 2 heads fresh broccoli
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Place bacon in a deep skillet and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
- Cool and crumble.
- Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and cut the onion into thin bite-size slices.
- Combine with the bacon, raisins, your favorite nuts and mix well.
- To prepare the dressing, mix the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar together until smooth.
- Stir into the salad, let chill and serve.